One Million Degrees Scholars are highly motivated individuals pursuing their associate's degrees. They have persisted through challenging situations and are striving to reach their full potential and become positive forces in their families and communities.
We provide the training and tools for you to engage with our highly motivated scholars. You empower our scholars to set goals, achieve critical milestones, and become tomorrow's leaders.
The OMD Coach qualifications:
- Have an education level of at least an Associate’s degree (or equivalent work experience)
- Have a passion for supporting community college students with diverse backgrounds, coaching them through challenges, and celebrating their successes.
Once you submit an application, you will need to complete the following requirements to become a coach:
- Attend a coach info session (30-minute, online session or in-person at your workplace) and coach training (two-hour, in-person session). Multiple info sessions are held throughout the application period, in the spring and summer, and multiple coach trainings are held throughout August and September. Once an application is submitted, One Million Degrees staff will reach out with next steps for signing up for an info session and training.
- Attend a 90-minute Diversity and Inclusion workshop, scheduled before a Saturday Coaching Session.
- Agree to a criminal background check and to abide by One Million Degrees’ Coach Code of Conduct.
Once you become an OMD Coach, you will be expected to:
- Participate in one 90-minute Saturday Coaching Session per month during the academic year (September – May) at designated community college. Please note One Million Degrees’ eight program locations for the 2018-2019 academic year. Coaches are assigned to a specific program, and attend sessions at the same location each month.
- Be available outside of Saturday coaching sessions and commit to at least one phone or email exchange with your scholar per month.
- Submit a brief monthly activity report to One Million Degrees staff.