COACH A SCHOLAR. MAKE A MEANINGFUL DIFFERENCE.
One Million Degrees Scholars are low-income, highly motivated individuals pursuing their associate's degrees. They have persisted through challenging situations and are striving to reach their full potential and become positive forces in their families and communities.
We provide the training and tools for you to engage with our highly motivated scholars. You empower our scholars to set goals, achieve critical milestones, and become tomorrow's leaders.
OMD COACHES BRING A WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, AND SUPPORT TO THEIR SCHOLARS.
- Broaden horizons of career aspirations and possibilities
- Provide professional insights, such as real-life examples of professional challenges and growth
- Model professional norms and behaviors
- Encourage scholars through challenges and setbacks
- Be a person who cares, celebrate their successes, and won't let them fall short of their potential
THE REWARDS ARE A MILLION-FOLD.
- Build valuable relationships with scholars
- Grow professionally and personally as you mentor diverse and talented scholars
- Be inspired by scholars' stories and perseverance
- Expand your own professional network through connections with fellow coaches
- Gain understanding of and insight into diverse communities across Chicago and its suburbs
“OMD doesn’t only change the lives of students, it gives meaning to the lives of coaches.”
–Amanda Trybula, OMD Coach
The coach application for the 2016-2017 academic year has closed. If you are interested in becoming a substitute coach or other volunteer opportunities during the current academic year, visit our Volunteer Interest page to learn more and to fill out our volunteer interest form.
OMD Coach Qualifications and Requirements:
- Attend a coach info session and coach training
- Participate in one 90 minute Saturday coaching session per month during the academic year at one of One Million Degrees’ program locations
- Be available outside of Saturday coaching sessions and commit to at least one phone or email exchange with your scholar per month
- Submit a monthly activity report to One Million Degrees staff
- Associate’s or bachelor’s degree and work experience
- Agree to a criminal background check and abide by One Million Degrees’ Coach Code of Conduct
- Passion for supporting community college students with diverse backgrounds, coaching them through challenges, and celebrating their successes.
Questions? Want to engage a team of people from your company? Check out the OMD Coaching Frequently Asked Questions or contact Volunteer & Alumni Manager,
Michaela McGill at email@example.com or at